Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ark Animals

Some information on making the pairs of animals for the Noah's Ark will be a starting point. I use Redwood when I can get it, and if I cannot get it, I use Cedar. In either case, the wood is either salvaged from house decks, picnic tables, outdoor furniture, or fence boards. If I have to purchase the Redwood or Cedar it's in the form of fence boards. These boards are between 1/2 and 3/4 inch thick. I do try to use thicker wood for the thicker animals like the elephant.

I also use a rotary tool (Dremel) with a 1/2 inch sanding sleeve to achieve the desired animal shapes. I will post a series of slides that show the sequence of sanding sleeve cuts to carve the animals.

I hope to have ther animal series posted in the next few days....

No comments:

Post a Comment